Home V3 (LearnDash) Forums Servanthood Discussion 1

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      admin
      Keymaster

Paste the same submission from the previous step by clicking on the REPLY link just above.

Then scroll down to see your peer submission and click reply to comment on their submissions. You MUST comment on at least one post with a minimum of 200 words by 11:59 p.m. (WAT) on Friday of the week. Your comments will also be graded.

Ezeonugo02
      Participant

Can a person outgrow service? How can a leader who has grown in the ranks in church or in an organization still be able to serve?
      Outgrow: it means to lose a habit, idea or reputation etc in the course of development or time.
      Service: it is the performance of a duty or function.
      Leader: He is someone who influences a group of people towards the achievement of a goal. He has a shared vision aligned with core values and understands what it will take to reach the team goal.
      No, a person can only outgrow service if he was serving with false humility, wrong motive and he had a targeted position of which when the target is achieved he sees no reason to continue pretending.
      A person cannot outgrow service because we were called to be servant, and it comes from our inside out and the reward for hard work is always more work, service is not just an errand that is reserved for the lowest personnel but for everyone, as one grows in status they give more in their service. Faithfulness of service is meant to run through every level of life
      A leader who is growing rank in any organization will still be able to serve if he recognize and work in the following principles:-
      1. Constant renewal of the mind: A leader need to constantly renew his mind that is, one way for him not to outgrow service because it will help him to remain humble and faithful and also help him maintain a servant heart. It will help him not to feel bigger than the position or everyone within that organization. He should continue to bear in mind that he got to where he is by serving, by grace and by hard work and that more is expected from him.
      2. A clear understanding of his purpose: He needs to keep his eyes focused on the purpose for which has been called to serve, by so doing he will understand that for every new level of greatness there is a greater door of service opened up at the same time also that there are more levels to grow into,so if he doesn’t serve properly he will cut short his purpose. Furthermore a leader is meant to coach guide and inspire others to be as him if not better so as long he is a leader there are people under him, people he can invest in their life.
      3. Create opportunities to improve: He needs to always seek and create opportunities to improve especially if he feels that the current ways of things are not challenging him enough he should keep raising the bar. Service is what birthed leadership.
      4. Check his associations: Most time people miss working in their purpose as a result of the company they keep . A leader who have associations especially ones who envy him or one who doesn’t have a clear picture of service and purposehe will easily loss interest in service because of peer advice.

saysay
      Participant

SERVANTHOOD (103 – LC)
      LESSON 1& 2 – QUIZ
      QUESTION 1.
      True service is unrelated to your state of birth, it is rather a deliberate choice you make to serve. From what you learned in this lesson; compare and contrast the service rendered by Rebekah to Abraham’s servants and Joseph to Potiphar in Egypt.

One of the definitions of service is the act or mode of service. They both served but their services are not quite the same. One was divine opportunity while the other service was subjective. Let’s see how they played in Rebekah and Joseph’s services.

REBEKAH: GENESIS 24:14 -19
      14. Now let it be that the young woman to whom I say, ‘Please let down your pitcher that I may drink,’and says, ‘Drink, and I will also give your camels a drink’ – let her be the one you have appointed for Your servant Isaac. And by this I will know that you have shown kindness to my master.” 15. And it happened, before he had finished speaking, that behold, Rebekah, who was born of Bethuel, son of Milcah the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, came out with her pitcher on her shoulder. 16 Now the young woman was very beautiful to behold, a virgin; no man had known her. And she went down to the well, filled her pitcher, and came up. 17 And the servant ran to meet her and said, “Please let me drink a little water from your pitcher.” 18 So she said, “Drink, my Lord.” Then she quikly let her pitcher down to her hand, and gave him a drink. 19 And when she finished giving him a drink, se said, “I will draw water for your camel also, until they have finished drinking.”
      Here we see that Rebekah chose to serve. She saw a divine opportunity and dived into it. Remember she was sent on an errand to get water for the home, and probably there was no water to cook at that time, she did not tell Abraham’s servant, “Sir let me go and drop this for my mum she is cooking. I will come back quickly to give you water and even take care of your camel. No, she saw an opportunity to serve and step into it immediately. Rebekah was sensitive to the need at the time.

JOSEPH: GENESIS 39: 1- 4
      1 Now Joseph had been taken down to Egypt. And Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh, captain of the guard, an Egyptian, bought him from the Ishmaelites who had taken him down there. 2 The Lord was with Joseph, and he was a successful man; and he was in the house of his master the Egyptian. 3 And his master saw that the Lord was with him and the Lord made all he did to prosper in his hand. 4 So Joseph found favor in his sight, and served him.
      According to this scripture, Joseph served. It was clear that he was loyal, humble, and dedicated in the service he rendered to his master. His attitude was right. His mindset, I am sure was not a slave mindset as he rendered his service. Despite all of these attributes, we are safe to say that his service was not a divine opportunity, it was the position he found himself but he made a choice to serve, tracing back to his family, service brought to where he found himself. He did not stop because of his present position, he continued in the serve.

Nnachi
        Participant

MY REPLY 2
        Rebekah actually identified an opportunity to serve and stepped into it to fulfill her divine purpose in life. It was not the case of seeing an opportunity because you see something without knowing or understanding where it will take you to.
        The essence of this discussion was for the comparsim of the similarity and differences which occurred with Rebekah with Abraham’s servants and Joseph and Portiphar house in Eygpt. I want to state that justice was not done, except for stating the relevant biblical portions. However, I commend the effort.
        Be that as it may , it is good to acknowledge that highlighting them opened up issues correctly. While Rebekah identified an opportunity and stepped into it, Joseph was circumstantially found himself in the house of Portiphar as a slave. Forced labour if you ask me. However, that did not deter him to forget his dreams, even when Portiphar wife came knocking, to distract him from his divine path. For me, Joseph was a very focused personality and knew what he wanted. In the case of Rebekah, I am doubtful whether she passed through any challenging circumstances to text her commitment to her servanthood potentials. that she was a gift by a stranger and was so excited with it a put a question mark on her person. This Joseph may not do; because he had a goal. Do not forget; he was a dreamer and therefore a vision carrier. Rebekah was not a dreamer and anything can go.
        Both are woman and man of destiny; as each pallied through the path designed divinely. Both are in rendering functions, work, occupation in the true sense of serving others and to a great essence served credibly well. No wonder, they are personalities of repute in their own rights, till date. Thy are references for us as believers in particular and humanity in general.
        Their credible credentials of servanthood stand to be emulated.

OnyemaChika
          Participant

REPLY TO NNACHI
          Lets Get This, The Place where you were born is not a function of where your purpose will be fulfilled. Whether or not Rebecah came from a wealthy home does not change her from being the right wife for Isaac and also prayer answered for both Abrahim and his servant who they swore together. Gen24:9 So the Servant Put his hand under the thigh of his Master Abraham and swore an oath to him concerning this matter. This is purely Service that took Rebecah to her place of Honour. Rebecah had the right attitude in that she did not wait for anyone to dictate a God given opportunity, she discovered for herself.
          While Joseph in the prison served as a dream interpreter that took him to Potipha’s house. Joseph served willingly and faithfully that made his Boss Potipha made him ruler and in charge of everything up until contrary with Potipha’s wife that set him up for Honour.
          Both Joseph and Rebecah had the right attitude, which we say that attitude is the state of the mind. Faithfullness in service should run through all stages in life.
          Hence it Takes greatness to become a servant and servant to become greatman.

Nnachi
        Participant

MY REPLY 1: Servanthood
        Going by your submissions, while I do admit and agree with most of them regarding service outgrowth, I find it difficult to subscribe and reconcile with the leadership disposition: knowing it has to do with influencing a person or group to achieve a goal. That takes me to the question of: how does a cleaner or messenger- through your leadership concept, influence the CEO for that purpose. The reverse is the case; thereby being one way traffic and negating the servanthood idea. To that extent, defining leadership, with entirely organizational background and mindset, might not give us the expected meaning of servanthood.
        Jesus made us to know that He has come to minister(serve) and not to be ministered(served) unto. So, the bone of contention here is service and not leadership; as both have different meanings and connotations. Otherwise, the congregation in the Church and the rank and file staff in organizations will not have any place in serving and becoming servants. This will be contrary to the purpose of God for us; having been an example for us to follow.
        Therefore, serving to become servant and not leadership as oga is most important, desirable and needful.
        In the same vein, saying a person can only outgrow service if he/she was serving with false humbiity equally gives me concern. Because, service under pretence is no service and therefore, does not qualify and align with the perspective under discussion.
        A person who abides by all the principles and dictates of servanthood is a servant and will never outgrow his/her service in either side of life.

obiamonu
      Participant

Rebekah and Joseph both came from a different socio-economic status. Although Rebekah was born and brought up in a wealthy family, she didn’t consider it belittling or derogatory to serve Abraham’s servant by giving him water to drink when she was asked. Gen 24:18 NKJV. She had the right mindset. Joseph on the other hand, was a slave in Potiphar’s house. As a slave, he had the right mindset of servanthood, he didn’t consider his state as belittling or derogatory, he served Potiphar such that Potiphar saw that the Lord was with him and that the Lord prospered all that he did. Gen 39:2-4NKJV.Joseph and Rebekah both had an understanding of their true identity which was in God.
      Rebekah saw herself as a solution to Abraham’s servants needs and Problems. Gen 24:18NKJV, she was able to identify a God given opportunity to serve when she said” Drink, my lord”. And she quickly lowered her pitcher to her hand and gave Abraham’s servant water to drink at his request, so also, Joseph, he served Potiphar and his household such that Potiphar left all that he had in Joseph’s hand and he did not know what he had except the food that he ate. Gen 39:3-6NKJV
      Rebekah had the right attitude. She was able to anticipate the needs of Abrahams servant thus creating an opportunity to serve. In the book of Gen24:19-20NKJV. Rebekah said, I will draw water for your camels also, she quickly emptied her pitcher into the trough, ran back to the well to draw water and drew for all his camels. she knew exactly what to do and did it. So also, Joseph found favor in Potiphar’s sight and served him. Gen 39:4NKJV. Both Rebekah and Joseph had the right attitude. true service is a state of the heart and out of that state of the heart, actions will follow. Actions are visible but attitudes are of the heart. Therefore, their actions enhanced the right attitude in them.
      Rebekah and Joseph had true humility in service. They were not hypocrites. They did not cross their boundaries. They were true imitators of the people they served. When Abraham’s servant adorned Rebekah with the golden bracelet and nose ring, she immediately ran home to tell her family Gen 24:28. Joseph also did not take advantage of his master’s wife when she wanted to sleep with him. He knew his boundaries. Gen39:7-9.

Yeodikitekon Igani
        Participant

I like the opinions and thoughts expressed, as it highlights the simplicity and sincerity of the actions of Joseph and Rebekah, in their service to the respective recipients. As a result of this service that was appreciated by the master of the household in which Joseph worked (Potiphar), and the stranger by the well (Eleazar) Rebekah attended to; they were eventually rewarded for their services in due time.

Joseph was promoted to the highest office available in Potiphar’s house because of the excellent service which he chose to render as unto God. Likewise, Rebekah was adorned with articles of gold in appreciation for her generosity and was eventually selected as the bride for Isaac.

It is worthy to note that all of these services rendered were done with no expectations attached. But the increase and promotion that their excellent service attracted, was a by-product of the excellence they chose to operate with and a worthy reward that exceeded their imaginations.

However, in my opinion with reference to the matter in review I believe that Rebekah did not necessarily consider herself to be the solution to Eleazar’s needs rather, she considered her access to the necessary and needed resources a privileged position of service. This was expressed in her actions and understanding of the truth that wealth in the hands of the righteous is to be deployed as a tool for service.

This is why after providing him with water, she could anticipate the needs of his company, and proactively supply them (Gen. 24: 19-20). Furthermore, she accepted his request for accommodation and intentionally chose to provide more rooms and resources for his company (v. 23-24).

On that note therefore, it is better to consider the state of her birth as an advantage that enhanced the nature and quality of her service.

Florence Oribhabor
      Participant

True service is unrelated to your state of birth because service is not from born but rather a delebrate choice or effort you make to serve.
      Rebekah was born in an influential family, yet she worked effortlessly and willingly to serve a servant. Her response to Abraham servant (Eliezer) shows that she has a right mindset of service irrespective of her economy status.
      Rebekah did not only serve Abraham’s servant but also served his camel emptied her pitcher into the trough until they finished drinking. Genesis 34:17.
      Joseph on the other hand serve as a slave or a house boy in Potiphah house.His conditions did not stop him to serve because the state of a servant is not inflicted upon him by state of his birth or by the family conditions therfore its ones deliberate choice either as a son or as a daughter of wealthy or influential family or a poor miserable family as long as there is a change mindset.
      Secondly, Rebekah identifies God given opportunities to serve Abraham’s servant, and she steps into it. So Rebekah moved from her father house to her husband house. While Joseph moved from his master Potiphah house to prison.
      Similarly, Rebekah and Joseph work and perform the same duties or functions towards the needs of people in society. Both of them were servants, not just Joseph, a house boy in Potiphah house.
      Both of them were served willingly as a young virgin
      identified and anticipated God-given opportunities that come their way, and they step in.
      In conclusion, as a believer, you can not outgrown or grow the rank in church or organisation that you are not able to serve. Jesus himself serves, and He said He did not come for humanity to serve him. Rather, He came to serve humanity. Jesus was a servant, so anyone who desires to be great must serve and understand the principles of service. A change in mindset can also see that the principle of service should really transient through every facet of the society whether you are at the top of the organisation or a messager. As a believer, you need to understand some basic truth that for you to successfully serve in a church setting organisation where God has called you serves you to understand
      1. true identity in Christ,
      2. A constant renewal of the mind irrespective of the state of your birth will enable you to have servant heartby always
      3. It is clear that you have a purpose in this life that you a solution to the question and need of multiple. We can find this in Jesus, who is our perfect example of service and to identify these 3 keys. John 13:3.For you to be able to serve. Successful in any area of life or in local church, you should understand that everyone is a servant and be ready to serve one another irrespective of your status in society. As a true believer, when you serve, you become great, and your greatness is a result of your servanthood

Ezeonugo02
        Participant

My reply post to Florence Oribhabor
        True service is unrelated to your state of birth because service is not from born but rather a delebrate choice or effort you make to serve.
        I completely agree on the writer on this because both Rebekah and Joseph never allow their social status affect their service to whoever came their way.
        We could see clearly that this is who they are, disciplined, humble, with servant heart and they weren’t just acting to get something in return (eye service) as can be seen in the lives of a lot of today’s leaders. Looking at Joseph’s history, he had good vision of how great he was going to be yet, he took care of his father’s flock. Even as a slave he had plenty opportunies to advance by his power, but his love and respect for God stopped him from doing evil.
        Rebekah already showed she was hard working (they had servants in their house Genesis 24 vs 61, yet she did not see anything wrong in going to fetch her water or even “stooping” low to serve a servant), compassionate and serving came natural to her.
        Both were settled in theiir identity and purpose in life and knew that their current state will not affect who they are.
        Just as the writer pointed, when we are settled in our identity and discover our purpose we will not serve because people are watching or to get recommendation from people, but it will be our daily life activities understanding that our sevice is first to God before to any human.

saysay
          Participant

MY REPLY TO FLORENCE:
          I agree with you that true service is unrelated to your state of birth or born as you put it. You said that Rebekah worked effortlessly and willingly to serve as a “servant”. That is where my bone of contention lies. The Bible describes how wealthy Abraham was, even Abraham’s servant explained the same to the family of Rebecca. Someone who traveled with ten (10) camels mounted by men, gold and silver, am sure did not appear like a servant. Though he introduced himself later as one. Genesis 24:28-30 states that when Rebekah ran home to tell her mother what had transpired between her and Abraham’s servant, Laban his brother seeing the nose ring and the bracelets, ran to him. Without much grammar, he invited time he invited him in. You can’t perceive someone as a servant and give him the honor of a king.
          The principles of service; choice, willingness, mindset, and divine opportunity, may have played out during their service, but the scenarios cannot be likened to be the same. Rebekah stumbled on her divine opportunity while Joseph’s was through progressive revelation.
          Secondly, your conclusion is contradicting the assignment given. We were asked to either compare and contrast Rebekah and Joseph’s service or a leader outgrow service. You were meant to write on one of them.

obiamonu
        Participant

In John 13:1-17NKJV, Jesus, the Son of God washed the feet of the disciples, a duty usually done by the lowest servant in the Jewish society. Peter did not see that as something he was prepared to do when Jesus wanted to wash his feet. Initially, he would not allow Him until Jesus said if He did not wash his feet, he had no part in him. After washing their feet, Jesus said, “You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you” (John 13:13-15 NKJV).
        Though the washing of the feet of the disciples was a symbol of spiritual cleansing, it was also a lesson in leadership ¬– a leader is a servant. There are three things that Jesus knew, which made Him serve humbly. These we must also know to be able to serve.
        1. Jesus knew the Father had given all things into His hands (John 13:3NKJV). Jesus could afford to come so low to wash the feet of the disciples because He knew that God had already given all things into His hands. Though it might not appear to be so, He knew that God had already given all things into His hands. The fact that the Managing Director of a company decides to personally serve drinks to his staff that come to his house does not remove the fact that they are his subordinates. If he feels he has now become their messenger because of that occasion, something must be wrong with him.
        It’s a wrong understanding of leadership to think that once we become a leader, we have many people to serve us, leaving little or nothing for us to do. No. People serve a leader to help him serve them better, to help him perform his primary functions. It is not to make him see himself as a god. Just like our lecturer Dr Iyowuna Okari taught, when she was the leader of the prayer squad she used to clean the seats until her subordinates started doing it and from there they took over the cleaning of the seats, this removed the burden from her and made her work easier.
        Jesus was secure because He knew everything had been given into His hands. He did not feel threatened by anything. ( Ephesians 1:22NKJV) says God put all things under His feet and gave Him to be head over all things to the church.
        Jesus could wash the feet of the disciples, serving them at that lowest level because He knew that all things had been given to Him. We will be able to serve anywhere we find ourselves if you have the same understanding. what applies to Jesus also applies to us. God has already given all things into our hands too.
        The Bible says, we are seated with Jesus at the right hand of the Father, far above principality and power where everything has been given unto him and all things are under his feet. When God gave everything into the hand of Jesus, you were in Jesus. So, He gave everything to us, too (Ephesians 1:20-21, 2:5-6NKJV). We have been given the same authority that Jesus was given.
        2. Jesus knew that He came from God (John 13:3NKJV). Jesus knew that He was not of this earth. He knew His source; therefore, He served. He knew that serving did not reduce who He was. The same applies to us.
        Joseph was in prison but that did not make him feel like a prisoner. We came from God. He is our maker. He has good thoughts concerning us, thoughts of peace and not of evil and to take us to an expected end (Jeremiah 29:11NKJV). We are not here alone, going through what we are going through. His presence is with us if we have accepted the Lordship of Jesus (Isaiah 43:1-2NKJV).
        3. Jesus knew that He would go back to God (John 13:3 NKJV). He knew His sojourn on earth was not the end of everything. He knew He came from God and would return to God. He knew that He was accountable to God for His life on earth. He knew He could not live His life to do His own will. He knew that His life was not supposed to be lived to glorify Himself. He knew that his Father was still working, and he must work, too (John 5:17 NKJV).
        The truth applies to us too. We came from God, and we will return to Him to give account of everything we have done on the earth (Romans 14:12, Matthew 12: 36NKJV). Knowing this should make us sober to live our life in such a way that He will be pleased with us. We are not to live our lives for ourselves. We will go back to God one day. It has been given unto man to die once and after this the judgment (Hebrews 9:27NKJV). Service keeps us humble. Don’t always let who you are, go to your head; let it not inflate your ego. There is always somebody better than you! Stoop low and wash somebody’s feet. Don’t be too conscious of your position.
        These three truths will give us the confidence to serve people in a humble manner. The knowledge of these things would not only build in us a robust self-esteem, but it would also keep us humble to be able to serve others without difficulty, especially those under us. We know that those we serve may not reward us either sufficiently or at all, but God the rewarder will do when we return to him. It does not end here on earth (Hebrews 11:6NKJV).
        The Bible says, “And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men. (Colossians 3:23NKJV). The Bible also says we should do whatsoever we do; do all to the glory of God (1 Corinthians 10: 31NKJV). Every service we render to another man or organization is to the Lord, and not to the man or the institution. When we begin to view service from this perspective, we will be free to offer service, because, ultimately, it is not man that will reward us.

pastorderrick
        Keymaster

Good

Nnachi
      Participant

CAN A PERSON OUTGROW SERVICE? HOW CAN A LEADER WHO HAS GROWN IN THE RANKS IN CHURCH OR IN THE ORGANIZATION STILL BE ABLE TO SERVE?

DEFINITION
      Service has variously been defined as occupation of person, work as per formal duties, system of assignment, ways or mode of serving or rendering activities; act or condition, depending on the position based on the prevailing circumstances.
      Clearly speaking, it is all about one serving the other or others in the process leading to being called a servant. Servanthood is the bottomline of the exercise. The word service or servant was modelled by our Lord Jesus Christ and it is expected to be our hallmark. Several biblical references attest to this, Isaiah 52:13-53:12. In the same vein, we are admonished to lead by serving others (Matt 20:25-28), as to serve also means becoming a slave and at the same time the greatest among your peers. Jesus exemplifies this, by coming not to be served but to serve humanity. Serving others brings one to be the first among equals. Jesus emphatically told His disciples that, anyone who desires to be first, he shall be last and servant of all. So, by this serving, ‘way up is down’(Mark 9:33-35). Therefore, in any contrary circumstances, service is out of it. Also in Mark 10:43-45, Jesus re-emphasised this position, signaling the importance service. Recall, the washing of feet of the disciples by Jesus in John 13:12-17. Meanwhile, that example was then applicable. This was an illustration and does not in any manner represent any doctrinal practice.
      There are great rewards of service and servanthood (the act of serving), if the four principles of service: unrelated to the state to your birth; it is a choice you make; it is not determined by the action you perform and service is never outgrown steps are scrupulously adhered to, as explicitly put forward and supported by Apostle Paul in Philippians 2:2-11 and Hebrews 4:1-16.
      OUR POSITION
      As highlighted above, service is the duty of everyone, at each point in time and therefore, does not exclude any one. That is everyone is meant to serve, as long as such live on either side of the world. The one at the top of the organization as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), is ought to be the biggest servant; for the Church the General Overseer (GO); while for the home, the Father. Service can never be outgrown by any servant. In fact, it is synonymous with life; because faithfulness in service should be exhibited through all stages and phases of life.
      Let us look at this example, using the church: where we have the GO, AGO, Superintendent, Pastors, Assistant Pastors, Church workers and the congregation. Each of these persons and groups are in position in various degrees and are expected to deliver service accordingly. However, the GO in this case, if he must be great is expected to show great deal of servanthood spirit and never to relent in ensuring that there is increase in service delivery from one level to the other. It also means that as you ascend the hierarchical organogram, your degree of serving should be multiplied geometrically. The faithfulness in one level of service should be re-echoed in the next level of service (Luke 16:10-13). It is very necessary we are faithful in whatever is assigned to us because it is divine and should not be taken for granted. In order to establish and sustain servanthood, accountability and transparency are critical elements.
      CONCLUSION
      In summary the way of God is a path of servanthood-by offering us the best of Himelf (Matt 23:11-12; Mark 10:43-45). There is no end to serving and therefore cannot be outgrown and cannot be retired from or be tired of. Where you think, there is nothing to offer; check well to identify, anticipate or create the opportunity to serve. Serving is synonymous with useful life and must be through all stages, steps and phases of life; provided faithfully conducted.
      Greatest is determined by the degree of servanthood. Hence, servanthood is not tied to your low economic standing or societal ranking but a choice made if one must be great and important in the society and in cognizance with the will of the Master as elucidated in the scriptures above. It should be noted that it takes greatest to become a servant and it takes servanthood to become a great man. Therefore, it is a privilege to serve and become servant, as it guarantees one chance to be a great and happy man with rest (Heb 4:16; Matt 11:28).

Nnachi K. I.

Benny4real
      Participant

Service is never outgrown. The topmost leaders should be the greatest servants of all. As a leader who has grown in rank in a church or organisation he or she must have shown successful servanthood. The way to continue to serve is to maintain servanthood.
      Luke 16:10a says He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, verse 12 says And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?
      This means that a great leader is a successful servant. One who was given the opportunity to serve and was found faithful in what was least, according to the scripture, he or she is promoted to the next rung of the ladder and keeps progressing. Therefore every great leader knows that faithfulness in service runs through all stages and phases, i.e service is a continuous process infact the higher you go the more you serve. There is a popular saying “With great power comes great responsibility”. A great leader is first a servant, once a leader has this as an inner disposition then their actions will naturally align. Using Paul as a case study in Titus 1:1 Paul was one of the greatest apostles to walk the face of the earth, as a matter of fact he wrote most of the books in the New Testament, yet he called himself a bondservant of God. Therefore his apostleship was only as credible as his servanthood, he didn’t attribute his success to his achievements rather he attributed it to his servanthood.
      Using Jesus as a case study, when he washed the feet of his disciples in John 13:4-16. When Jesus was about washing the feet of his disciples Peter said to him in verse 8, “You shall never wash my feet” this was Peter playing the part of a servant and seeing Jesus as his master refused to allow him wash his feet because the feet is considered as filthy and only servants should wash the feet of others, yet Jesus who was God himself washed the feet of his disciples to show them that true leadership is in servanthood.
      In verse 14 He said, if I then your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
      This is to say that a true leader, leads by example. You want the people you lead to follow, then you must set the pace, you must show them your willingness to serve this is the idea of Servant-leadership.
      In verse 16a He said, most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
      This is to say that as a leader you are still a servant to whoever sent you and you should maintain your servanthood. Everyone is a servant to another and therefore no one should be seen as less than the other. Before one becomes a “Servant-leader”, he must have shown trustworthy personal service to someone, this is the idea of “Servant-follower”.
      Servanthood is the time-tested entrance prerequisite for trustworthy leadership. God’s word reveals this service as the basis for advancement in leadership and examples abound in the bible from Moses serving Jethro, to Joshua serving Moses and much more.
      If a leader has grown in ranks and wants to continue service rightly he or she should look out for people who served successfully and learn the principles they lived by. For example in a Bible believing church, a leader can look up to those of higher ranks and even look into the bible for examples of successful service and those in an organisation can look up to their superiors for advice and read books on leadership.
      In conclusion, It takes greatness to become a servant and it takes servanthood to remain a great man. So to continue growing in rank, you must maintain an attitude of servanthood.

saysay
        Participant

MY REPLY TO:
        HOW CAN A LEADER WHO HAS GROWN IN THE RANKS IN CHURCH OR AN ORGANIZATION STILL BE ABLE TO SERVE?
        From what I glean from your exceptional write-up is that leadership is all about giving. It’s not a position of authority where you want to be served. It shows that leadership gives to the work involved because leadership is work itself. You buttress your points with Mathew 20:25-28. Where two sides of leadership were expressed.
        Verse 25 showed where the rulers of the gentiles Lord it over their subject, this is not servanthood but Jesus countered it, in the next two verses where He said, “Whoever desire to become great among you, let him be your servant. And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave.” Service is for growth. To be great, one is expected to serve. You said, “Faithfulness in one level of service should be re-echoed in the next level of service as you rightly pointed out in Luke16:10-13.” To my understanding, service is generational. It grows from one generation to another. It is meant to be contagious. Hence, when Jesus washed the feet of His disciples, He gave them an instruction, that they should do the same to one another. That goes to say that servanthood is unending.
        In conclusion: Servanthood is for all who have chosen to serve. So, a leader who has grown to a certain rank or position is a servant. It is not a class thing, it’s rather a rank that leads to promotion.

Amotsuka Caleb
      Participant

Can a person outgrow service? How can a person who has grown in the ranks in church or in an organization still be able to serve?

Service is defined as the performance of a duty or function.
      This very definition implies that everyone no matter your current status or situation is able & required to serve because there will always be a function or duty that you are capable of executing to the benefit of the organization.
      A lot of people associate service with the performance of menial tasks and so the word serve is often used when referring to people of seemingly lower estate carrying out tasks for their superiors. This however is not a wholesome view. True service is the performance of a duty for the benefit and betterment of others or a group. This means that the kind of tasks to be carried out may vary based on the position a person holds but the purpose of fulfilling the task remains the same irrespective of position; which is the benefit and betterment of others.
      A Pastor has duties they must perform in service to the congregation they lead which are different from the duties that the members of the congregation will perform in carrying out their own acts of service. However, both the Pastor and member must serve with the same attitude and purpose in mind. A Pastor will need to spend time in the study of the Word to ensure that they are able to rightly divide the word of truth and teach the members accurately. They will also need to select and train other leaders to supervise various operations in the local assembly. All these duties are a form of service to the congregation and even though they are different from the duties that will be required of members of the church, they are still necessary acts of service.
      A pastor who doesn’t have a servants heart will take the members for granted and will not spend time studying the Word and building a solid team. A lack of servanthood from Pastor will eventually lead to the failure of organization to fulfill its purpose.
      This shows that elevation to the position of a Pastor is not a call to an endless holiday but rather a call to an even greater level of service because the duties performed or not performed at this level will have a greater impact on the entire organization. This is why the higher you go in the ranks the more a servant you become but the duties to be carried out may change.
      An example from scripture was when there was a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists in the early church in Acts 6:1-7 and Stephen with 7 others were chosen to serve. The apostles made a very important statement and I quote: “It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables”
      This statement may sound to some like the apostles saw serving tables as demeaning but nothing is further from the truth. The Amplified version puts it this way; “It is not appropriate for us to neglect [teaching] the word of God in order to serve tables and manage the distribution of food.
      What they were saying is that because of the responsibility they have over the people to teach them the word of God, it will be very inappropriate for them to neglect the duties required of them in serving the people and become busy with other duties which people lower in the organization can carry out effectively. This was not a selfish statement or a show of pride. Rather this was a display a true humility and servanthood because if the apostles had neglected their primary duties to serve tables, the health and growth of the entire organization would have been jeopardized. The apostles were however no less servants than those who were selected to serve tables. All of them served in various capacities focused on the same purpose which was the growth and spread of the gospel.
      We can therefore say that no one ever outgrow service and the higher you go, the more you are required to serve though the duties will change. This is why Jesus said that the greatest must be the servant of all.
      To be able to continue to serve effectively as you grow through the ranks, one must have a strong revelation of who they are in Christ and the purpose for their role. This will help them avoid pride or false humility and also help them avoid pressure to carry out duties for the group that may look seemingly important (from an emotional stand point) but will not give maximum benefit to the group in the long run just like in the example of The apostles in Acts 6. A leader who has grown through the ranks, if your focus remains on building and improving the lives of the people you are leading, you will always be on the look out for tasks you can perform to make their lives better and this is service.

Florence Oribhabor
      Participant

Comment on Ezeonugo02’s good work

Can a person out grow service? How can a leader who has grown in the ranks in church or in an organization still be able to serve?

ANSWER
      First and foremost,It is quite unexpected for a child of God to outgrow service in the house of God. Service in church entails devotion and commitment, which are propelled by genuine love for God . Service in the house of God in whatever capacity should not be seen as something that can be outgrown by anyone no matter how big , wealthy, or wise one may become. Anyone who feels he has out grown working for God because he has been doing the work for too long or has been promoted has definitely derailed from the right path and must have a questionable relationship with God. You can’t love God and consider yourself bigger than His work.
      Moreso, I very much believe that one thing that sustains a leader or any worker in church who has grown in ranks and still remains committed to doing God’s work is the depth of his faith and relationship with God. If you you have such great relationship with God, you will surely manifest the fruits of the holy spirit spoken about in Galatians 5:22 which include: love,joy,peace,patience, kindness, goodness faithfulness and self control. All these are physical manifestations of a christian’s transformed life. It is evidence of Christ living in us and transforming us such that doing God’s work becomes something we draw joy, strength, and fulfilment from irrespective age and social status.
      Furthermore, in a secular organisation, one can be promoted from one office to another by virtue of his hard work or contribution there by making him eligible for higher service. However, age , sickness, and even death are also some of the veritable factors that can hamper one from doing any form of work ,spiritual or secular.

EdenSage
        Participant

I totally agree with your position on how service in church is propelled by a genuine love for God.
        The value we place on a thing or person will be seen in our commitment as we give our time, talent or treasure.
        According to scriptures, love can grow cold and when that happens, commitment can wane. In such a case we may not say that a person has outgrown service but it may be evident that their desire to serve is diminished.
        In your comment, you have balanced this well by stating that a relationship with God can sustain service and again I agree. When a person focuses on pleasing God and not pleasing people, their strength is renewed and they are able to develop creative ways to stay in service to the one they love. Love always has a heart to give and as leaders continue to fan the flame of love, they will always devise ways to serve.
        In a case where a leader considers themselves too highly placed to serve, it may be as a result of pride. You addressed this by detailing how submitting oneself to the authority of God’s word and walking by his Spirit, will regulate and maintain a good heart that is willing to serve.
        As we walk closely to God, it becomes easier to derive joy and fulfillment of purpose in our service to humanity.

EdenSage
      Participant

According to the teaching in this lesson, we are taught that service cannot be outgrown. This is in fact true in my opinion because I have observed, and you may agree, that as a person grows older, there is a higher call to service. For example, when we were teenagers and lived with our parents or guardians, we were expected or mandated to serve in basic chores (at least). As adults with families, we are not only expected to serve our spouses and children but there is an innate desire to be relevant in society and this is expressed in our seeking employment formally or informally. Better put, every responsible adult, desires to provide a service that will cause satisfaction; either in securing an income or bringing them fame.
      This discussion is however focused on a leader who has grown in the ranks and the scripture used to highlight this point is Luke 16:10-13 (NLT)
      “If you are faithful in little things, you will be faithful in large ones. But if you are dishonest in little things, you won’t be honest with greater responsibilities. And if you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? And if you are not faithful with other people’s things, why should you be trusted with things of your own? “No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”
      A leader who has grown in the ranks has clearly exhibited faithfulness and can continue to serve actively by making a deliberate effort to stay involved and on top of their responsibilities. With a good understanding of accountability, they will realise the importance of following up on delegated tasks. Such a leader will also see the need to give feedback to their own supervisors. When a leader works closely with members of their team, they are able to “impart” some skills such as integrity, transparency, diligence, empathy etc. This is also a way of service as it builds the rest of the body/ team.
      An important point to consider is the risk of a hectic schedule for leaders who are top ranking. In such a case, a healthy culture that allows freedom of expression may be helpful. This ought to be presented from the onset in the workplace or within teams so that in the event that responsibilities are overwhelming, leaders should be able to step down temporarily or permanently without fear of condemnation or judgement or loss of privileges.
      Numbers 8:23-26 (NLT)
      “The Lord also instructed Moses, “This is the rule the Levites must follow: They must begin serving in the Tabernacle at the age of twenty-five, and they must retire at the age of fifty. After retirement they may assist their fellow Levites by serving as guards at the Tabernacle, but they may not officiate in the service. This is how you must assign duties to the Levites.”
      While there are scriptures that assure us that we can do all things and our strength is renewed, we see from the text in the book of Numbers that retirement or stepping down is also an option in the place of service.
      In the event that a leader steps down voluntarily, they may continue to serve by providing guidance and support to their teams while respecting the boundaries of the new leadership.

OnyemaChika
      Participant

REPLY TO NNACHI
      Lets Get This, The Place where you were born is not a function of where your purpose will be fulfilled. Whether or not Rebecah came from a wealthy home does not change her from being the right wife for Isaac and also prayer answered for both Abrahim and his servant who they swore together. Gen24:9 So the Servant Put his hand under the thigh of his Master Abraham and swore an oath to him concerning this matter. This is purely Service that took Rebecah to her place of Honour. Rebecah had the right attitude in that she did not wait for anyone to dictate a God given opportunity, she discovered for herself.
      While Joseph in the prison served as a dream interpreter that took him to Potipha’s house. Joseph served willingly and faithfully that made his Boss Potipha made him ruler and in charge of everything up until contrary with Potipha’s wife that set him up for Honour.
      Both Joseph and Rebecah had the right attitude, which we say that attitude is the state of the mind. Faithfullness in service should run through all stages in life.
      Hence it Takes greatness to become a servant and servant to become greatman.

Benny4real
      Participant

Name: Owhondah Ugochi Benedicta
      Anchor: Dr Mrs Iyowuna Okari
      Course Title: Servanthood
      Question:
      Can a person outgrow service? How can a leader who has grown in the ranks in church or in an organization still be able to serve?
      Service is never outgrown. The topmost leaders should be the greatest servants of all. As a leader who has grown in rank in a church or organisation he or she must have shown successful servanthood. The way to continue to serve is to maintain servanthood.
      Luke 16:10a says He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, verse 12 says And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?
      This means that a great leader is a successful servant. One who was given the opportunity to serve and was found faithful in what was least, according to the scripture, he or she is promoted to the next rung of the ladder and keeps progressing. Therefore every great leader knows that faithfulness in service runs through all stages and phases, i.e service is a continuous process infact the higher you go the more you serve. There is a popular saying “With great power comes great responsibility”. A great leader is first a servant, once a leader has this as an inner disposition then their actions will naturally align. Using Paul as a case study in Titus 1:1 Paul was one of the greatest apostles to walk the face of the earth, as a matter of fact he wrote most of the books in the New Testament, yet he called himself a bondservant of God. Therefore his apostleship was only as credible as his servanthood, he didn’t attribute his success to his achievements rather he attributed it to his servanthood.
      Using Jesus as a case study, when he washed the feet of his disciples in John 13:4-16. When Jesus was about washing the feet of his disciples Peter said to him in verse 8, “You shall never wash my feet” this was Peter playing the part of a servant and seeing Jesus as his master refused to allow him wash his feet because the feet is considered as filthy and only servants should wash the feet of others, yet Jesus who was God himself washed the feet of his disciples to show them that true leadership is in servanthood.
      In verse 14 He said, if I then your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
      This is to say that a true leader, leads by example. You want the people you lead to follow, then you must set the pace, you must show them your willingness to serve this is the idea of Servant-leadership.
      In verse 16a He said, most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
      This is to say that as a leader you are still a servant to whoever sent you and you should maintain your servanthood. Everyone is a servant to another and therefore no one should be seen as less than the other. Before one becomes a “Servant-leader”, he must have shown trustworthy personal service to someone, this is the idea of “Servant-follower”.
      Servanthood is the time-tested entrance prerequisite for trustworthy leadership. God’s word reveals this service as the basis for advancement in leadership and examples abound in the bible from Moses serving Jethro, to Joshua serving Moses and much more.
      If a leader has grown in ranks and wants to continue service rightly he or she should look out for people who served successfully and learn the principles they lived by. For example in a Bible believing church, a leader can look up to those of higher ranks and even look into the bible for examples of successful service and those in an organisation can look up to their superiors for advice and read books on leadership.
      In conclusion, It takes greatness to become a servant and it takes servanthood to remain a great man. So to continue growing in rank, you must maintain an attitude of servanthood.

Benny4real
      Participant

Reply to Nnachi:
      Indeed the way of God is a path of servanthood He showed us this by offering us the best of Himself according to (Matt 23:11-12; Mark 10:43-45). There is no end to service and therefore it cannot be outgrown and cannot be retired from or brought to an end. It’s a continuous process. Even Where you think, there is nothing to offer; check well to identify, anticipate or create the opportunity to serve. Serving is of extreme importance to our growth as believer’s. Life is a believer is in stages therefore servanthood is also in stages. You grow by bringing up others to follow you but you must lead by example. The more faithful you are in your service, the faster you grow.
      A great leader is first a servant, once a leader has this as an inner disposition then their actions will naturally align. Using Paul as a case study in Titus 1:1 Paul was one of the greatest apostles to walk the face of the earth, as a matter of fact he wrote most of the books in the New Testament, yet he called himself a bondservant of God. Therefore his apostleship was only as credible as his servanthood, he didn’t attribute his success to his achievements rather he attributed it to his servanthood.

Yeodikitekon Igani
      Participant

The stories of Rebekah (Gen. 24:10-26), and Joseph (Gen. 39:1-10), are remarkable examples of service because they show how one’s state of mind can influence the nature and quality of service rendered.

Gen. 24:15-16 informs us that Rebekah was from an affluent family (v.25), conducted herself in purity, and was very beautiful to behold. Yet, none of these attributes gave her an air of puffiness around her, instead, in all humility, she identified an opportunity to serve Abraham’s servant, and stepped into it.

Likewise, Joseph on the other hand, though a slave in his master’s house, derived his identity from his relationship with God (Gen. 39:2-3), and this influenced and dictated the nature and quality of his service. Being that, he chose to serve as one who ministered directly to God (v. 4-5), he remained productive in his affairs, which in turn earned him favour before his master, and a consequent promotion to the highest office.

Though Rebekah was under no obligation to attend to the servant at the well, of her own freewill, on being asked, she chose to oblige his request (v.18), and was proactive enough to supply necessary and needed provision for his company and animals (v. 19-20), not minding that he had not outrightly stated that such provisions were equally needed. Also, when he requested accommodation and lodging for himself and his men (v.23), she created another opportunity to serve by drawing on the wealth of resources that were available at her family’s disposal (v.24-25). She understood that true abundance was not about accumulation, but it ought to be deployed as a tool for service.

Unlike Rebekah however, Joseph as a slave in his master’s house (Gen. 39:1), was duty bound to fulfill his duties to his master, irrespective of prevailing conditions. Yet, in spite of his lowly estate, he chose to operate in excellence because honouring God through service, was of greater importance to him than the capacity he was called to serve in (v.2). He never considered his official ranking, and unlimited access (v. 4-6) as avenues to abuse his privileges. But rather, chose to operate within the confines of established boundaries, and would not go beyond them (v.8-9) because, beyond serving his master, his priority was to honour God with his service.

He understood that he operated within a representative capacity, and was called to magnify the God who had graced him with the abilities he had, the same one who made his service effective (v.2-3).

engremejnr
      Participant

COURSE CODE: SV – 103 – LC
      COURSE TITLE: SERVANTHOOD

QUESTION: True service is unrelated to your state of birth it is rather a deliberate choice you make to serve. From what you have learnt in this lesson, compare, and contrast the service rendered by Rebekah to Abraham’s servant and Joseph to Potiphar in Egypt?
      OR

ANSWER:
      Service is indeed a conscious decision that transcends one’s place of birth. Regardless of origin, individuals can choose to serve others through acts of kindness, generosity, and compassion.

comparing the service rendered by Rebekah to Abraham’s servant and Joseph to Potiphar in Egypt, we can say with certainty that Rebekah and Joseph served different roles in the Bible, assisting individuals in distinct situations.

Rebekah played a crucial role in Genesis, helping Abraham’s servant find a suitable wife for Isaac. She demonstrated kindness and hospitality by offering water to the servant and his camels. Rebekah’s willingness to assist a stranger showcased her generosity and a sense of responsibility.

On the other hand, Joseph served Potiphar in Egypt, initially as a slave and later as a trusted servant. Joseph’s integrity and work ethic were evident as he managed Potiphar’s household efficiently. However, Joseph faced challenges when falsely accused, highlighting the hardships he endured despite his commitment to duty.

In summary, while Rebekah’s service involved hospitality and matchmaking, Joseph’s service to Potiphar showcased resilience and loyalty in the face of adversity.

Can a person outgrow service?
      My answer is no but While personal priorities and circumstances may shift over time, the core inclination towards service often remains a part of a person’s character. While someone may change the way they engage in service or the causes they prioritize, the fundamental desire to contribute and help others can persist and even evolve. It’s less about outgrowing service and more about how one’s understanding and expression of service may adapt with personal growth and changing life circumstances.

A leader who has climbed the ranks in a church or organization can continue to serve effectively through several approaches:

1. Maintaining Humility: Regardless of their position, a leader can exhibit humility by acknowledging that leadership is a service-oriented role. Embracing a humble attitude fosters a collaborative environment and encourages others to contribute their best.

2. Engaging in Servant Leadership: Practicing servant leadership involves prioritizing the well-being of others and actively seeking opportunities to support and empower team members. By focusing on the needs of the community or organization, a leader can ensure that their actions align with a service-oriented mindset.

3. Mentoring and Developing Others: A leader can serve by investing time and effort in mentoring and developing the potential of those around them. This includes providing guidance, sharing experiences, and creating opportunities for growth. This not only benefits individuals within the organization but also contributes to its long-term success.

4. Remaining Accessible and Approachable: A leader should maintain accessibility and approachability. This involves being open to feedback, listening to concerns, and being responsive to the needs of the community or team. An approachable leader is more likely to connect with others and effectively address challenges.

By incorporating these principles, a leader can ensure that their ascent through the ranks doesn’t distance them from the fundamental aspect of serving others within the church.

pastorderrick
      Keymaster

Good

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Select your currency