Home V3 (LearnDash) Forums Christian Character Discussion Board 1

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      pastorhelen
      Keymaster

“Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus.” Bearing in mind that we are not saved by good works (Ephesians 2:8-9), give validity to this statement or state otherwise.

Your post should be a minimum 400 words while your reply should be at least 200 words.

Paste the same submission from the previous step by clicking on the REPLY link just above.

Then scroll down to see your peer submission and click reply to comment on their submissions. You MUST comment on at least one post with a minimum of 200 words by 11:59 p.m. (WAT) on Friday of the week. Your comments will also be graded.

Amotsuka Caleb
      Participant

Works refer to the outer demonstration or manifestation of inner or unseen realities. For example a person could be said to be kind which is an inner disposition or reality but this can only be verified by an act of kindness or consistent acts of kindness.
      Works can be said to be the fruits of a tree. Jesus warning about false prophets uses this analogy. He said in ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:17‬ ‭NKJV‬‬ – Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. In this analogy we can liken the tree to the heart of man and the fruits to the works of man.‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬
      This shows that good works are an offshoot of and a testament to a good heart. A tree is recognized mainly by its fruits. If you see mangoes hanging from the branches of a tree, this is confirmation that what you are looking at is a mango tree and not an orange tree.
      Jesus speaking to His disciples in ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:16‬ ‭said;‬‬ Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬
      The primary purpose of the good works that any Christian does is to give glory to God. When people see our good works, it provides a confirmation to them that we are a good tree because only a good tree can produce good works consistently.
      Because this world is by default evil and human nature selfish, when we manifest good works that go contrary to the nature and the ways of the world, people are intrigued and want to investigate the reason you are able to behave is such a manner. For the believer, the root of these good works is Christ and when people realize this it provides a great witness for Jesus.
      In Mark 10:18, Jesus said “only God is truly good. This means that the root of every truly good work is God. If only God is truly good then only God can manifest truly good works. This was the case with Jesus during His earthly ministry. He went about preaching, teaching and manifesting good works and even though many people didn’t immediately believe His message, even a Pharisee agreed that no one could do the things He did except God was with them. John 3:2. The works of Jesus provided witness to the truth that God was with Him. This is why when Jesus’ disciples were struggling to believe Him, He told His disciples that if they can’t believe His words, they should believe Him because of the works that He did. This shows that the works we manifest are a testament to who we are on the inside.
      As Christians, when we manifest good works, it is physical proof of who we are on the inside. When we walk in love, kindness, joy and other fruits of the spirit, unbelievers are surprised at our responses to the same situations they face and they will want to know the reason we are able to respond that way. This is the best opportunity to witness for Christ and let them know that it is Christ in you that makes all the difference.
      However, it is important to point out that the world has now realized the value of these good works and character traits and many people now try to manifest them without having a relationship with Jesus. Such good works cannot be sustained and can be likened to placing mangoes on an orange tree to project the image that the tree is a mango tree. Even if you are successful at hanging the mangoes on the orange tree, the tree can never produce another set of mangoes because it doesn’t have the capacity to do so internally. Good works not rooted in Christ can never be sustained.
      Also, the motive of any good works not rooted in Christ is questionable. Most times, people do such works for selfish reasons and so the works do not eventually give glory to God.
      Good works are important but having a good heart precedes doing good works and only a person who has been saved by Jesus can have a good heart. Every other heart outside of Jesus is desperately wicked and in need of salvation. As believers, we do not do good works so that our hearts can be good. Rather, we do good works because our hearts are good. A believer with an un-renewed mind will likely still manifest works that are not of God but as his mind gets more and more renewed by the word, his mind aligns with his spirit and good works will begin to flow naturally and will be a hood testimony of his new life in Jesus Christ.

Nnachi
        Participant

Reply to Christian Character Group Discussion 1
        While we admire your ingenuity in your varied approach to response to this group discussion; we do also appreciate your line of thought and insight. However, in our mind and considered opinion, it seems your method did not necessarily do justice to the question in question.
        Your approach to the topic in question was generic and failed to specifically address the issues in contest: the quote and how it relates to the Bible verse Ephesians 2: 8-9 or otherwise. Again, your position was not defined as demanded by the content of the question. In the same vein, remember, this course run through series and each has its foundation and this was equally absent in your work. No wonder the proper words/semantics were also missing. These are fundamental flaws which tend to impede, on your well intended presentations.
        You ought to have explained the quote ‘Good works that stem of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus’; subscribe to it or otherwise and then relate it to the Ephesian 2: 8-9; as may be explained too. You are at liberty to establish or suggest any connection between the two or otherwise.
        To that extent, we suggest that much ought to be done by your good self to align your position to the intent and purpose of the question in view.
        We feel this remain the crux of the matter; even as we humbly salute you for your endowed efforts.

saysay
          Participant

MY REPLY TO CHRISTIAN CHARACTER > GROUP DISCUSSION 1.
          I commend your good work, in as much I am not here to counter points, ideas, or opinions, I just want to express or explain what I gleaned from your write-up. I am open to correction. You necessarily didn’t use the term as spelled out in the assignment given but I feel the mango tree and the mango fruits explain it, “Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus.”
          The tree here is likened to God the Father and the believer(s) are the fruits. The scripture says, “No man takes this honor to himself, but he who is called by God, just as Aaron was.” No three can bring forth fruits unless there is an abiding. John 15:5.
          The good fruits, (as I can view how goodly the mango would look), which is likened to the witnessing, have received impartation from the tree through photosynthesis, have developed (produced), through abiding thereby doing good works (reaching the consumer). All of these processes happened because there was a planting. Ephesians 2:8-9.
          In summary, good work becomes a lifestyle because it is Jesus’ way of life too. As He is so are we in this world. We were first saved by grace (imparted by God whose only character is to do good), and as we choose to abide, stay in sync, and dance with the Word (develop our character). We will keep doing good work until the end.

OnyemaChika
          Participant

Replying to Nnachi

I agree to your statement that good works stems out of a relationship with Jesus Christ was actually imparted in us at new birth and into our recreated human spirit, where we were required to remain that way, and having that seed planted in man as soon as one receives Christ, However one needs to develop that seed or else the seed will remain stunt. And will not yield fruit or harvest of the word of God.

This said good works that stems out of a relationship with Jesus was receive by grace Bible say not of works that any man should boast. Again it comes as light which God is light himself. The word of God is light and it gives light to the simple, we are to shine as light through the word of God in this perverse world and at the same time witnessing to those around our vicinity and society at large. As our human spirit is recreated, so we continue walking in the spirit Romans 8:4-5 which is constant renewing of our mind because we have a soul that lives in the body, and there has been constant battle between the body and soul, with this we know that this good works is about living out a godly character that will affect others ie. sinners even drawing them to Christ sometimes without preaching to them, perhaps the seed of the word of God that has been sown to that sinner but in his indecisive mood he sees a character proven and shown he/she just concluded accepting Christ and joining that fellow to their church.

obiamonu
        Participant

When you say that “Works refer to the outer demonstration or manifestation of inner or unseen realities”. I totally agree with you, you know the bible says in the book of Romans 6:16,” Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death or of obedience leading to righteousness? Having said this, we can say, that our actions and attitudes or character are directly proportionate to the one whom we yield ourselves to. Paul goes on further to say in verses 22-23,” But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. From this, we can rightly say that the born-again believer has been set free from sin to produce good works that glorify our Father.
        God at the new birth imparted his character into the recreated human spirit of the born-again believer, so that he could do the work of the ministry. what are these fruits? Galatians 5;22-23 names them as love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. As we grow in God’s nature, we become lights in a dark and perverse world. ‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:16‬ ‭said;‬ Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬
        Our character which should mirror Christ’s must come from the root, the benchmark, which is the character of God. That is the reason Jesus said in John 15:4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

Yeodikitekon Igani
        Participant

I like the opinions expressed in this post, and the thoughts given in reaching a conclusion as this. The fact that it highlights the link between a person’s nature and the quality of works they produce makes it relatable, as our level of consciousness and awareness always informs our actions.

Furthermore, you have identified that God is the only one who is truly good (Mk. 10:18). So, the ability to produce such good works will only be made possible by the adoption of His nature, which is made possible by the New Birth.This is why the quality of good works referenced in the given quote is presented as a consequence or by-product of a relationship with Christ, which is only available to the believer.

This implies that, such good work is powered by the Spirit of God; motivated by the love of God; and expresses the power of God in the life of the one who produces such fruits.

Therefore if the fruits of the spirit are the core of Christian character, this then becomes the force of attraction for the unbeliever, as it causes him to desire a similar experience. Thereby making for an effective witness for Christ (Matt. 5:16)

Ezeonugo02
      Participant

Name Ezeonugo Ijeoma Chika
      Course : Christian character CC- 105 LC
      Essay Titile: Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witness to Jesus” bearing in mind that we are not saved by good works (Ephesians 2 8 to 9). Give validity to this statement or state otherwise
      Work : These are things we do, our actions, it means we are always doing works either good or bad.
      Good works : These are person’s actions and deeds that are seen (externally), it differs from grace and faith which are inner qualities. These also are works that are good that are done for God’s Glory.
      Good work does not produce salvations, but these are product of salvation (Matthew 5 vs 16. )
      Good work that stem out of a relarionship with Christ are works or fruits that emanates or comes as a result of us been followers of christ and abiding in him (John 15 vs 15) it follows salvation, they also point people to Jesus. Having a solid foundation in the word of God will help us not to be misled about what God considers good work that are profitable to the kingdom of God.
      As we abide in him and allow him to reproduce his character in us, we keep doing good works like Jesus did. We need to do more than talk about Jesus to unbelievers because our actions speaks louder than words and these works are the first thing the unbeliever sees and recognize.
      Ephesians 2 vs. 8 to 9 shows and is a reminder that it is not our works and acts that got us saved, so we will not get to a point where we feel everything is by our might, our works did not earn us salvation but our salvation should lead us to a life of good works and men well see and judge and be attracted to us and therefore to God through this good works (Matthew 5 vs 16) , we were created for good works (Ephesians 2 vs 10) and we have nothing left to boast because the source of our good should be found in God. It is one way we can witness and evangelize for men to see the character of God in us.
      During Jesus ministry on earth, he performed great works (John 9: 1 to 7. John 6: 1 -14 etc) the good works was used to witness to the people at that time pointing to God (John 10 vs 25), and before he left he stated in John 14 vs 12 that when we believe and abide in him and he in us we will do greater works than what he did and we will be greater witness.
      Biblical examples where good works was use to witness Jesus:
      1. Dorcas known for her good deed .(Acts 9 :36 to 43 ).
      2. Healing of the man at beautiful gate. (Act 3 1 to 4 :1 to 25)
      3. When the apostles sold their good and distributed to everyone who didn’t have enough (Acts 4: 32 37)
      In summary, I believe that your good works will bring people to you and they would want to know more about your person then use those good works to tell them about Christ and get them to say the prayer of salvation because according to Rom 10 : 8 to 10, a person is only saved when he believes with his heart and confesses Jesus with his mouth.

EdenSage
        Participant

Dear sister/ brother, I like how you have given different examples of the good works some disciples displayed in the bible. I also enjoyed reading the scriptural references you attached including the very important point of how our good works are a means of evangelism. I totally agree with you on this.
        Imagine a colleague at work who is supposed to be a believer but their attitude cannot be described as good. That is not a good witness for Christ but I am also reminded of the story of Smith Wigglesworth’s wife whose disposition and response to him served as a good witness for Christ and eventually lea him to salvation. A believer in Christ cannot afford to have different personalities for different occasions or in different locations. A child of God should be a child at work, in school, on a plane, on a bus, on the streets, everywhere we find ourselves and not just in church. Our light must constantly shine so that men can be drawn to Jesus. Our good works are not just for a particular class of people or a group of people that have been good to us. Rather, just as Christ, we are good to all men, at all times, in all places.

EdenSage
      Participant

It is true that we are not saved by good works but I would like to put it this way, we are saved FOR good works. The bible tells us that the just shall live by faith (Romans 1:17). Meaning, everything a believer does is and should be by faith. Even receiving salvation was by faith. Scriptures also tell us that faith without works is dead (James 2:26) and so it is safe to conclude that the believer in Christ is expected to show good works. Good works are a part of a believer’s believing life.
      Before we were saved, there was no way we would have “earned” salvation through our good works because the nature of the fallen sinful man was not good and was separated from God.. Therefore, Jesus had to come. He became sin that we may become the righteousness of God in him (2 Corinthians 5:21) and Jesus said that those who believe in him will do greater works than he did (John 14:12). So, works are not inconsequential. The believer is expected to show great works. Nay! GREATER WORKS. Hallelujah!
      When a believer fulfils these words that Jesus spoke, it is a witness for Jesus. Just like the illustration Pastor gave in the lesson, of a child who comes home with a good report card from school. It gladdens the heart of the parents and they are proud. However, let me add that it is not the report card that made the child a child to the parents. Rather the child is only able to perform (good or bad) because they are connected to a source. We are not born of God because of our works but because we are born of God (the source of everything good and perfect), we should and will evidently have good works.
      A relationship with Jesus is a relationship with the Word and the Spirit of God and so good works are inevitable because our very nature has become good. We begin to bear fruit that is good. It is not these works that justify us but they are prove that we have been joined to the one who is good.
      So yes, I agree with the statement that good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus, are a witness for him but I am also aware that my good works do not give me a place as a child of God but rather it is by the sacrifice of Jesus that I am saved and then I am able to live a life where good works are my nature.

Ezeonugo02
        Participant

Yes before Christ we are full of selfishness and our works were done for selfish purposes also those who are saved but haven’t renewed their mind in their new faith didn’t have a clear understating the their works were done to bring glory to God instead it became list of do’s and don’ts . Jesus in many occasions pointed this out about the Pharisees (Matthew 24:14) that they spend time carrying out the works without first dealing with the internal part which is the heart and Spirit.
        The writer in this 4th paragraph noted “A relationship with Jesus is a relationship with the Word and the Spirit of God and so good works are inevitable because our very nature has become good. We begin to bear fruit that is good. It is not these works that justify us but they are prove that we have been joined to the one who is good.” Pointed to the fact that this good works are products of our relationship with God, which means as Christians the state of our heart will determine the nature of the works we will produce. Jesus pointed this out to the Pharisees that you can only give what you have (Matthew 12 :34 -40) we really need to keep renewing our mind to be like Jesus and produce good works.
        Yes we are not saved by good works but when we got save (through believing in Jesus and confessing him Lord of our life) we will start living and acting like him whose very nature is good.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Ezeonugo02. Reason: Correcting the 3rd paragraph to the 4th while making reference to what the write quoted
      Nnachi
      Participant

Christian Character Group Discussion 1
      “Good works that stem of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus”. This posits that there is an existing relationship with Christ portending that there is a believe in the heart, counted as righteousness and confession with the mouth, of Jesus life, dead and resurrection, equated to salvation. This is the case of a believer in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and we stand with the above quote.
      It does emphasize the Christian evidence of good character as to become a good witness for Christ in the utmost desire and quest to win souls to the kingdom. As a believer who lives and acts like Christ, your life will be become an example to others and therefore encourage them to seek and desire to walk with Jesus Christ. So, a Christian good works become instrumental to witness for Jesus Christ.
      Referring to the scriptures, Matt 5: 13-16; Christians are referred to as the salt of the earth, and we all know the importance of salt and the consequent of not having it in our meals. It also says, we are the light of the world; a light without which the world will not have illumination. Our light should so shine before men, that they may see our good works and then glorify our father in heaven. In Phil 2: 14-16, the Christian despite all the world carries, still shines as the light of the world. Good behaviors and godly dispositions of the Christian attract men to the vineyard of the Lord and this is equivalent or equal to Christian character and are meant to be witnesses to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the potent manner to win souls (Matt 10:7-8), in the attainment of The Great Commission agenda.
      The Christian character is the character of the Father-God and every believer who rightly align properly with God, will exhibit these characters and become a channel for effective evangelism and missions, even without a word but by mostly conducts. Therefore believers, we mean true believers will showcase godly characters, because the DNA in God has been downloaded unto them by impartation. With these embedded characters of God on the believer, witnessing for Jesus Christ, for souls conversion becomes an easy pack.
      Regarding Eph 2:8-9; as referenced, it is a case of an unbeliever, being prompted to come over through faith without necessarily requiring or doing any work of any sort; as the grace of God is all that is required, available and not of any good works. So, the quote above run parallel to the intent and purpose of the verse of the Bible in this particular instance. Here, no relationship yet with Christ Jesus.

The quote above is valid, upheld and represents Christ character personified in the life of a Christian, through which such becomes a good witness in the realization of The Great Commission objectives and goals. Whereas, the second part is the first stage of getting an unbeliever to come over to the fold; who may graduate into the believers’ family and be imparted with the God DNA, to function too as a good witness for the Master’s assignment.

Florence Oribhabor
      Participant

FLORENCE EWANOSE ORIBHABOR

VALIDITY OF THE STATEMENT
      “Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus”
      bearing in mind that we are not saved by works.
      It is absolutely true that we are not saved by works but saved by Grace through faith.
      Ephesians 2:8-9
      [8]For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
      [9]not of works, lest anyone should boast.
      However, good works are works that are good done for God’s glory they are good because they honour God and love people.
      They are works done for God’s glory by God’s strength. Good works or good characters are good witnesses for Jesus. Good witnesses are proof that we are Christian. Not just any good works but rather good works or good character that stems out of a relationship with Jesus Christ, this good witnesses for Jesus. These are important because they are good works. There are other behaviours and good moral characters that may not stem out of a relationship with Christ. Good works or good character that stems out of a relationship with Christ is the character of God , the express image of God the Father Hebrews 1:3
      [3]who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.
      The good works or good character that stems out of a relationship with Jesus was
      imparted in us at new birth into the recreated human Spirit. Christian character is the character of God , the Benchmark,the foundation or the reference point, is the character of God which we received from the root or the Vine through the Lord Jesus Christ. The impartation of character comes first as seed that must be developed or trained.
      Our good works are witnesses for Christ in the world, which is why the Bible refers to christain as the salt of the world. Matthew 5:13
      [13]“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavour, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men
      Jesus did not make Himself son of God by developing good works; he did good works because he is the son of God
      [6]But without faith it is impossible to please Him
      The seed imparted need to be developed constantly, to make it a pattern of life wherever and and whenever; the life of a christain ought to be marked with consistent, and diligently developing the good work which are the fruits of the spirit Galatians 5:22-23
      [22]But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
      [23]gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
      As believer the character of God is also the light of God that shine through us to influence darkness in the world by that light in us
      Matthew 5:16
      [16]Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. Christ Fulfills the Law
      both men believers and unbelievers may see your good works and glorify your father in heaven” which he prepare before hand.
      Good works point to God alone as glorious. When we do that, we show that God is worthy to beloved, and make him look great.

Benny4real
        Participant

You made a valid point when you said “Jesus did not make Himself son of God by developing good works; he did good works because he is the son of God
        [6]But without faith it is impossible to please Him
        The seed imparted need to be developed constantly, to make it a pattern of life wherever and and whenever;” Though I still believe the Holy Spirit in us is the actual witness for Christ. We are witnesses to our Faith in Him. Because with or without your good works, Christ is still Christ. So whether you choose to do good works or not He is still the same person He is and will always be. We are His own workmanship in Christ Jesus, and these good works were prepared beforehand. According to Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
        Ephesians 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
        Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
        And also in John 15:26-27
        26“But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.
        27And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning.

Benny4real
      Participant

Name: Owhondah Ugochi Benedicta
      Course Title: Christian Character
      Anchor: Pastor Nkechi Ene (Mrs)
      Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus.” Bearing in mind that we are not saved by good works (Ephesians. 2:8-9), give validity to this statement or state otherwise.
      Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
      Firstly what does it mean to witness?
      According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, To witness is to bear witness : TESTIFY to bear witness to one’s religious convictions
      According to the Oxford English Dictionary To witness is to present personal religious testimony; to preach at (someone) or on behalf of. It also means Attestation of a fact or event; testimony.
      From the definitions above, The word testify is used as a synonym for the word witness. This is to say that we are witnesses to Christ. Therefore our good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ show forth the life of Christ in us yet, it is not our works that are witnesses for Jesus Christ. It is the Holy spirit in us that is a witness for Christ Jesus. We are witnesses “to” Christ Jesus.
      The next verse of Ephesians 2 which is Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. These good works were prepared beforehand, all we need to do is walk in them. We don’t work out our salvation by our strength. We are His workmanship in Christ Jesus already complete in Him.
      Acts 1:8 says” But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
      When we realize that it is Christ who works in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure, then we know that we are always a work in progress. These good works have been attained by Grace, the Holy Spirit and Christ’s finished work.
      We are witnesses to our faith in Jesus Christ . John 15:26-27
      26“But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me.
      27And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning.
      We testify of Christ and our faith in Him.

Benny4real
      Participant

Name: Owhondah Ugochi Benedicta
      Course Title: Christian Character
      Anchor: Pastor Nkechi Ene (Mrs)
      Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus.” Bearing in mind that we are not saved by good works (Ephesians. 2:8-9), give validity to this statement or state otherwise.
      Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 2:9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
      Firstly what does it mean to witness?
      According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, To witness is to bear witness : TESTIFY to bear witness to one’s religious convictions
      According to the Oxford English Dictionary To witness is to present personal religious testimony; to preach at (someone) or on behalf of. It also means Attestation of a fact or event; testimony.
      From the definitions above, The word testify is used as a synonym for the word witness. This is to say that we are witnesses to Christ. Therefore our good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ show forth the life of Christ in us yet, therefore we are witnesses to the world. Our good works that stem from a relationship with Christ display His personality because we are representations of Christ here on earth. We are letters to the world.
      The next verse of Ephesians 2 which is Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. These good works were prepared beforehand, all we need to do is walk in them. We don’t work out our salvation by our strength. We are His workmanship in Christ Jesus already complete in Him.
      This good works stem from a constant renewal of the mind till we know Christ’s perfect will. We renew our minds daily.
      Acts 1:8 says” But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
      When we realize that it is Christ who works in us both to will and to do of His good pleasure, then we know that we are always a work in progress. These good works have been attained by Grace, the Holy Spirit and Christ’s finished work.
      When we do not show forth these good works then there are no evidences that Christ is at work in us. So we have to be conscious of the Father who we represent here on earth and of His spirit indwelling on the inside of us. John 15:26-27
      We testify of Christ to the world through our lives.

obiamonu
      Participant

Introduction
      The Book of Acts of Apostle Chapter 10:1-48(NKJV) is about a man called Cornelius. It’s a beautiful story that captures the fact that we are not saved by good works, but our good works borne out of a relationship with Jesus serve as a good witness.
      Acts10:1-2(NKJV), “There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of what was called the Italian Regiment, a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, who gave alms generously to the people and prayed to God always”. The Bible records that Cornelius was a good man who gave alms and was of a good reputation. He was a man full of good works! Despite his good works, God seeing his sincere desire to know Him, intervened, in the life of Cornelius by sending Peter the Apostle to preach Jesus Christ, as Lord and Savior, to him and his entire household for them to be saved and be baptized.

Furthermore, one’s good reputation can be said to be the total of the opinions held about them by others. It can be influenced by many factors including their actions, behavior, personality, and achievements. A good reputation can lead to many benefits such as trust, respect, and opportunities. The story of Cornelius is a typical example, that we are not saved by good works. Even though he had a good reputation, God helped Cornelius to understand that his good works had to stem from his relationship with Jesus and not from himself.
      A second story to depict my validation of the statement above is recorded in the book of Matthew 19:16-30.it tells of Jesus’s encounter with the rich young ruler. Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? “The rich young ruler wanted to know what “good thing” (good works), he could do, to have eternal life. During their conversation, the young man boasted that he practiced all that Jesus had mentioned. Jesus seeing that the man relied on his deeds, asked to forsake all and follow Him. but the rich man was sad and went away sorrowful. Verse 29 says,” And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother [or wife or children or [lands, for My name’s sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life. The rich ruler couldn’t see what Jesus was offering him.
      Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus. Let’s look at the book of Romans 3:10-12 and 23-24 (NKJV), which” says, as it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understands, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
      23-24, says,” For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.
      Ephesians 2:8-9(NKJV),” For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. It is by grace that we are saved not by anything that we do. Man sold his birthright to the devil when he disobeyed God’s instruction in the Garden of Eden. God had to redeem man by sending His only begotten son Jesus Christ to take the punishment of our sin upon Himself, thereby restoring our broken relationship with God our Father. Man on his own cannot save himself by doing good works.
      Apostle Paul writes, In Galatians 2:20NKJV,
      “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
      2 Corinthians 5:17(NKJV), “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Corinthians 6;17 says that he who is joined to the lord is one spirit. Man’s spirit is re-generated and becomes brand new.
      To explain further, 1 Thess 5:23 helps us to understand that man is a tripartite being. Man is a spirit, has a soul, and lives in a body.it is the spirit of man that is regenerated. God’s character and nature are Imparted to the born-again believer at the new birth. Galatians 5:22-23,” But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such, there is no law. We find out that at the new birth, there is no outward transformation of our bodies and that our thought patterns and mannerisms don’t change instantly.
      HOW CAN A BELIEVER THEN WITNESS TO OTHERS THROUGH HIS WORKS? Having received God’s character and nature, it is expected that the believer should grow. The book of 1 Peter 2:1-5 admonishes the believer to desire the sincere milk of the word which is able to help us grow and produce good works. Also, 2 Peter 1:3-4 says “As His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust”. As we yield to God’s word, we will partake and exhibit the character of God because we share in His divine nature.
      2 Peter 1:5-7(NKJV),” But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge, self-control, to self-control, perseverance, to perseverance, godliness, to godliness, brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness, love. We are to be intentional in our growth process. We are to be deliberate and study the word of God to know the mind of Christ and to grow and bear fruits in line with the will of God for us. Philippians 2:15 Paul writes, Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. It is still God who works in us to do of His good pleasure. Philippians 2:16 Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
      Matthew 5:13-16 Jesus says, “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
      “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
      We can only be the salt of the earth and the light of the world if we remain in Christ Jesus who gives us life. just as He said in John 15:5. “I am the vine; you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me, you can do nothing. He is the vine; we are the branches. We can only produce good works that stem out of a relationship with Jesus when we remain in the vine (Jesus).
      In conclusion, our character is proof that we are Christians. it’s a way we profess our faith. That is what it means to shine as a light in the world. When we let our light shine before men, they will see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven. Our character which should mirror Christ’s must come from the root, the benchmark, which is the character of God. If we haven’t received the vine, then what life can possibly flow out of us, that will be lasting and impactful? When we get saved, we don’t go to heaven immediately because there is a time for us to be trained in godliness, trained in righteousness. Our mind gets renewed with the Word of God, and then we produce these good works that come as light in the midst of a dark and perverse world. we are called to be a light in the world and that’s where our good works and our good character are needed. Our reference point is Jesus’s character. Our good works shine brightly as a radiant light in the midst of deep darkness in the world that is why Jesus refers to us as the salt of the earth and the light of the world.

saysay
      Participant

CHRISTIAN CHARACTER – CC (105 – LC) > IMPORTANCE OF CHRISTIAN CHARACTER
      CHRISTIAN CHARACTER GROUP DISCUSSION 1.
      “Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus.” Bearing in mind that we are not saved by good works (Ephesians 2: 8–9), give validity to this statement or state otherwise.

Before we go into the subject matter, let’s try to get the meaning of “good works,” and “stem.”
      WHAT IS THE MEANING OF GOOD WORKS? Good works are those actions we display or portray that are good. It also means exhibiting good behavior.
      MEANING OF STEM (OXFORD DICTIONARY): Stem is the main long, thin part of a plant above the ground from which the flower leaves grow. John 15:5 (NKJV), “I am the vine, and you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in Him, bears much fruits; for without me you can do nothing.”
      We can now say that good works are good and done for God’s glory. They are good because they honor God and are directed towards loving people. But where are these good works emanating from? It is from God our Father. His character is to do good. As partakers, we exhibit God’s character because we are like our father-God. We have the nature of God.
      HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? Through impartation. God imparted us with His character. This impartation occurred at the new birth (when we were born again). God poured His entire self or entire being into us. As such He deposited His qualities (the act of doing Good) in us. 1 Corinthians 6:17 (NKJV). “But he who is joined to the Lord is one with Him.
      This impartation is not enough. For example, when a child is born, he or she will have the features of either of the parents or both parents, but that is not enough to make the child behave like his or her parents, he or she must observe, and practice, that is go through the necessary processes before he or she can produce some or all of the attributes of the parent(s). As Christians bearing the image of God, we need to develop that character God has imparted to us. As you stay in the Word (take heed of the Word, stick with the commandments, and hide the Word in your heart. Joshua 1:8 (NKJV) says,
      “This book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do (good works) according to all that is written in it.” There is a moment of study (observe) and a moment of action (do).
      Doing good works is developed or needs to be developed. John 5:19 (AMP) says, “So Jesus answered them by saying, “I assure you and most solemnly say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself [of His own accord] unless it is something he sees the Father doing; for whatever things the Father does, the son [in His turn] also does in the same way.” Good works are avenues to minister the gospel; For example, doing volunteer work for an individual or organization, helping someone through school, and using your talent to help someone grow. Acts 10:38 says Jesus went about doing good, healing the sick………… this goes to tell us that doing good is a continuous act. That is why it is good work(s)—gotten from Christ based on the relationship we have with Him.
      However, good works are not what got you saved but good works are the manifestations of your salvation all by grace. (Ephesians 2: 8-9).

OnyemaChika
      Participant

GOOD WORKS THAT STEM OUT OF A RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST JESUS ARE WITNESSES FOR JESUS “BEARING IN MIND THAT WE CANNOT SAVED BY GOOD WORKS (EPH. 2:8-9).
      GIVE VALIDITY TO THIS STATEMENT OR STATE OTHERWISE.

In answering and giving validity to this statement I will go by explaining what relationship and witness means:

RELATIONSHIP: The way in which two or more people or things are connected, or the state of being connected.

WITNESS: a person who sees an event, typically a crime or accident, take place

Good works that stem out of a good relationship with Christ Jesus is as a bench mark of God that witness for both Christ and God. This witness evidence comes in as light in the dark and perverse world. A Christian good character will be a witness to the dark world, their good character will also shine as light in a dark and perverse world.

By this it keeps us in the light and walk as children of light where one constantly purify himself by the word of God that cleanses him.

Our life are supposed to be transparent and translucent (i.e.) something that allows light to pass through it. The light in one can expose darkness. The good character developed not of works can consciously change a sinner to be converted, when we say not saved by good works; we mean we were dead in sin before Christ reached out and saved us. The same way the sinner will be saved through our good character witnessed to, exposed light to them without fellowshipping with it. This exposure comes with godly character and the end result is to pull that unbeliever to Christ.

Good works that stem out of relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus when it prevent the way of truth to be evil spoken of 2nd Peter 2:3, question is there anything in a Christian character that might cause people to back away from Christianity?

You see, it’s bad when blasphemy comes from the Christian because the enemy wants to cause God’s people to speak against Him, e.g. sickness where this child of God did not recognised that he/she will develop their character of faith in God concerning their healing the enemy will take hold of that inability of not knowing that they were healed to deal with them and hence they start speaking ill words against God, which is the collateral damage by the enemy.

Being conscious on the watchful eye on the presence of God will give our love on faith of God in a way that attract people to Christ and not repel them on him.

engremejnr
      Participant

The teachings of Jesus as found in the New Testament, where he emphasizes the transformative impact of faith on one’s actions. In Matthew 5:16, Jesus instructs his followers to let their light shine through good deeds so that others may see and glorify God.

When individuals have a genuine relationship with Christ, marked by faith and discipleship, their lives are expected to reflect the love, compassion, and righteousness taught by Jesus. Good works, emerging from this relationship, serve as tangible expressions of Christian values and bear witness to the transformative power of faith. They become a living testimony, showcasing the impact of a Christ-centered life on attitudes, behaviors, and interactions with others.

This concept is reinforced by the apostle James, who, in James 2:18, asserts that faith without works is dead. In essence, good works become a natural outgrowth of a vibrant relationship with Christ, affirming the authenticity of one’s faith and providing a compelling witness to those who observe these actions. In this way, the statement captures a fundamental aspect of Christian discipleship, emphasizing that actions inspired by Christ-centered love serve as powerful testimonies to the world.

Yeodikitekon Igani
      Participant

“Good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus are witnesses for Jesus”.

The nature of good works referenced in this quote is markedly different from that referenced in Eph. 2 : 8 – 9, as the latter refers to ethical conduct born out of a good moral standing; while the former refers to good works which are a reflection of the fruits of the spirit (Gal. 5 : 22 – 23). This set of good works are made possible by the power of God which is active in the person who produces them, and is exclusive to believers.

One Bible reference that gives life to this quote is Eph. 2 : 10. Here we find that it was always God’s intention for us to produce such good works. However, they differ from those referenced in v.9 because, such good works are motivated by the love of God which has been shed abroad in our hearts as believers (Rom. 5:5); unlike the other set of works which are designed to gain recognition amongst men.

As is characteristic of every love act of God expressed in His dealings with man, it is deployed with a sense of obligation and desire for the welfare of the one loved (Jn. 3: 16-17). Jesus when stating His purpose on earth (Mt. 15:24) equally emphasized this truth, as He declared that the target of this love are the lost souls of the world. It is for this reason that the Holy Spirit was imparted to believers (Jn. 14: 16-17), to serve as a companion and strengthener, that will enable them walk in this love, and sustain the productivity of the fruits of the spirit. For these fruits are the core of Christian character, and serve as a visible representation of the transformative power of God. Thus, attracting unbelievers to the light, and by implication Christ.

However, operating at this level is not automatic for the believer. It requires conscious and intentional effort on the part of the one who seeks to operate at this level, to commit to the renewal of the mind, by the continuous study and application of the Word (Rom. 12:2; Col. 1: 9-11). Only then can he say that he is producing the kind of works described in Eph. 2 : 10.

Therefore, good works that emanate from a relationship with Christ are indeed witnesses for Christ because, they are powered by the Spirit of God; motivated by the love of God; and express the power of God in the life of the person who produces such fruits. This becomes the force of attraction for the unbeliever, as it causes him to desire a similar experience.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Select your currency