Home V3 (LearnDash) Forums Christology Group Discussion 1

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      admin
      Keymaster

Paste the same submission from the previous step by clicking on the REPLY link just above.

Then scroll down to see your peer submission and click reply to comment on their submissions. You MUST comment on at least one post with a minimum of 200 words by 11:59 p.m. (WAT) on Friday of the week. Your comments will also be graded.

Ben
      Participant

1. John 1:18. This tells that Jesus proceeds from the Father. Implying closest intimacy and his origin.
      2. John 1:34. At the baptism of Jesus, God gave John a sign to identify the Son of God and John bore witness to that. Jesus was confirmed by God through the Holy Spirit as his Son- being equal with him.
      3. John 5:19. This describes the oneness between the Father and the Son. Like Father, like Son.

Paulpraze
        Participant

John 1:18 definitely implies intimacy and origin. To add to what has been said, this text also implies the self-revelation of God. Pastor Sola mentioned in this class that only God can truly reveal God. So there is, in this text, the idea of intimacy and origin as you already mentioned as well as God’s self-revelation. The only begotten Son of the Father who is the second Person of the Trinity has declared The Father, who is God and the first Person of the Trinity.

Paulpraze
      Participant

THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST
      THE GOSPEL OF JOHN IN VIEW
      Indeed, the Gospel of John is filled with the truth of the Deity of Jesus Christ. This is so because John’s aim or goal of writing his gospel was to show this particularly truth about Jesus Christ. John 20:31. Hence, we find nothing about the physical birth or lineage of Jesus in John’s Gospel as we do in the gospels. He simply begins his writing by declaring or summarising his book and then goes on to tell us why and how he had arrived at such a conclusion.
      FOUR SAMPLE SCRIPTURES
      John 1:29-34
      According to the Apostle John in the above passage, John’s (the Baptist) essential purpose for doing ministry was to identify and manifestly declare Jesus to Israel as the Son of God to the nation of Israel. His job was to bear witness of this truth based on certain signs that he had been given by God. And what he had been told by God had happened to Jesus under his ministry when he baptised Jesus at the Jordan. Matthew 3:13-17.
      John 1:15
      We know from Luke 1:24-37 that John the Baptist was 6 months older than Jesus. However, John says of Jesus that ‘he was before me’. That would seem to be a contradiction naturally speaking, except of course he knew by revelation that Jesus truly was before him which he did. He had knowledge of Jesus Christ that clearly was not according to the flesh because according to the flesh, John was before Jesus. This reminds me of one of Jesus’ claims in John 8:58.
      John 8:19
      Jesus’s response to the question of the Pharisees concerning his father echoes the same response that He gave to Phillip about His Father, the implication of which is that ‘I and my Father are one’. And the only reason Why He escaped harm in this instance in John 8:19 was because ‘his hour had not yet come’.
      John 19:7
      At the trial of Jesus Christ before Pilate, the one issue that supposedly stuck to Jesus of all their lies and claims was that ‘he made Himself the Son of God’. This accusation was reached because of certain claims that Jesus had made for example in John 10:30. The people actually picked up stones to throw at him for His supposed blasphemy. This was so because what Jesus meant by this claim of His was exactly what the Jews understood by His statement. There was no misunderstanding here whatsoever. The issue was that they judged Him a liar and therefore accused Him of blasphemy. What they failed to see was that He did not make Himself the Son of God, He actually is the Son of God.

Soton Iselobhor
        Participant

Interesting thoughts on the fact that although John the Baptist was older than Jesus Christ by 6 months according to the flesh, he had a revelation of who Jesus truly was and giving witness to that revelation was what his ministry all about. He was the man sent from God to give witness to the Man who “was” God- John 1:6. Such a huge responsibility it was to give witness to the deity of the famous “son of a carpenter.”

The foregoing notwithstanding, an argument might arise as to the John’s reaction and obvious doubt when he sent a message to Jesus asking, “Are you the Coming One or do we look for another?” In other words, in the face of hardship, John, the man sent from God, doubted the deity of Jesus Christ as the Messiah, even if he had heard of all the miracles that Jesus had performed. Luke 7:17-20.

I am poised to conclude and rightly so, that the deity of Jesus as all other supernatural truths can only be spiritually discerned as the natural man lacks the ability to comprehend the things of the Spirit of God.- 1 Cor 2:14. The non theanthropic attribute of the nature of our Lord Jesus Christ as fully Man and fully God is unique to Him alone. There is no natural way of explaining it.
        I am grateful to God that we have the mind of Christ and we are able to comprehend this great truth -1 Cor 2:16.

femionas
      Participant

John 6:35.
      Jesus Christ said he is the bread of life and that whoever comes to him shall not hunger and whoever believes in him shall never thirst again. As the bread of life, this means that Jesus nourishes people, spiritually and he also satisfies the deep spiritual longings of their souls. This also means that, those that come to Jesus Christ, and put their trust in him, will not hunger . And their spiritual longing to know God will be satisfied.
      John 8:56-59
      Jesus Christ told the Jews “Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day, he saw it and was glad”. In this verse, Jesus claimed to be alife before Abraham, that was over 2.000 years earlier. Jesus Christ said, before Abraham, I AM, using present tense. He also claimed be the God, that appeared to Moses in the burning bush.
      John 10: 25 -33.
      When the Jew’s came to ask Jesus to tell them plainly who he actually is, he said to them, “ I told you, and you do not believe, the works that I do in my father’s name bear witness about me. But you do not believe because you are not amongst my sheep”. Because a sheep should hear the voice if his shepherd. Jesus Christ further said “my sheep hear my my voice, and I know them and they follow me. And I give unto them eternal life: and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them our of my Father’s hand. If you believe in Jesus Christ, you should not doubt his ability to do what he says he will do. But the Jews always sees him as blaspheming and always looking for opportunity to stone him every time he emphasizes the fact that, he and the father are one.
      John 14; 6 -11
      Jesus said to him “ I am the way and the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father except through me if you had known me you would have known my Father also From now on you do know him and have seen him” Jesus is the only way to the father. Jesus alone fulfils the promises of life given by God and so he is able to confer eternal life to all those who believe in him.
      Moreso, in verse 8 Philip said “Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us”. Philip apparently asks for some sort of appearances by God. But Jesus made an assertion that those who have seen him have seen the Father…this is a clear claim of deity.

VIKTHUR
        Participant

We now come to the dialogue of Jesus and the Jews in which he exclaims “I AM the bread of life.
        ”John.6.30 They waffled: “Why don’t you give us a clue about who you are, just a hint of what’s going on? When we see what’s up, we’ll commit ourselves. Show us what you can do.
        They actually sort for manner from above.And this is a problem we’ve seen not only in the Gospel,also in the world today. Most people are more interested in the miracles than in the one who does them. They are more interested in filling their bellies than in feeding their souls. Like you mentioned Jesus as the bread of life nourishes people, spiritually and he also satisfies the deep spiritual longings of their souls. Manner, Bread and man’s mere words will never do (man shall not live by bread alone) so God sent his only begotten son as “The bread of life, The Word, the living proof.

Soton Iselobhor
      Participant

John 1:10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him”.
      John, having established that Jesus existed at the beginning as the Word, and was God, further presents Jesus here as the Creator who had come into the world He created. The Creator of anything must necessarily exist before the creation thus pointing to the divine nature or deity of Jesus.
      Secondly, the world did not recognize or better still, could not comprehend all that He was. His divinity which includes His role as Creator, can only be comprehended supernaturally- 1 Corinthians 2:14
      John 6:33 – “For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.”
      Jesus presents Himself here as the Bread from heaven which gives life to world, thus revealing three things that point to His deity namely:
      Identity as “Bread”; giving nourishment.
      Originating from Heaven; of a divine Nature
      Ability as the Giver of divine life.
      John 17:24 – “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.”
      In this beautiful scripture, while Jesus was praying for the saints, He revealed his deity as the first begotten Son of God. He called God “Father” at a time when the Fatherhood of God was not known to man. He prayed for others to become sons as He is, to be able to behold His glory. He went further to proclaim that the Father loved Him before the foundation of the World, which buttresses the fact of His existence in the Trinity, before time began – John 8:58
      John 10:18 – “No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again.”
      Jesus speaks of His ability to lay His Life down and take it again. This brings resurrection power to mind. It is interesting that while we have the picture of God the Father being the one who raised His Son, the Son Jesus here, states that He possesses that same resurrection power. This goes to show that God the Father and God the Son are one indeed having the same powers and abilities.

Wechie
      Participant

ANSWER
      Further evidence of his mission and special relationship with God.
      John 2;16,19,21-22
      Jesus in verse 16 referred to the temple in Jerusalem where he met people buying as selling as ‘’His Father’s ‘’ house. The temple is a place where the Jews met to worship God, in order words it’s the temple of God, but Jesus referred to it as “His Father’s house” Recall that we earlier established that He had a special relationship with God. He was the first to lay claim to God as his father, hence this verse corroborates or further gives evidence to this special relationship.
      When Jesus made the statement, his disciples caught on and recalled psalms 69: 9; The zeal of thine house has consumed me.
      In verse 18 of the John 2 the Jewish religious leader challenged Jesus, inquiring what authority he had to do what he had just done and what sign he would show to prove it. Jesus’ response further gives evidence to his deity.
      In verse 19 He said Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.
      Now the scripture didn’t leave us guessing what he meant rather in verses 21 and 22 of John 2 we see that he was referring to His death burial and resurrection which calls to mind his special mission as earlier mentioned.

John 14 :13-14
      He claimed to have power to answer prayers;
      Here Jesus first said prayers should be made in His name and then goes further to claim that he himself will do whatever is asked in His name. When we pray in Jesus name we acknowledge his deity. We pray in his authority.
      Prayers are to be made in his name.
      John 15 :16: Whatever we ask the father in Jesus Name we are assured of receiving.
      When we pray in Jesus name we are praying for things in alignment to God’s will. We are praying to God on the basis of what Jesus has done, hence are assured of receiving the answers to our prayers.
      1 John 5: 14-15 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hears us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
      See also John 16:23-24

Further evidence of his origin
      John 6:38 – For I came down from heaven not to do mine own will but the will of him that sent me.
      John 3:31

VIKTHUR
      Participant

John 3:16
      This scripture unveils the fact that God who intensely love the world sent his son, Jesus to die for humanity in order to redeem mankind.Jesus is the unique son of promise descended from the seed of Abraham as the Messiah, the anointed one. He is also the only one in history whose birth was precipitated by the overshadowing of the holy spirit.

John 10:30.
      As I listened to Jesus’s claim as been taught, I thought about this scripture (John 10:30)
      Jesus is claiming that He and God are unified as one. Christ always did the Father’s will; he and God have “one purpose

John 8:23
      Jesus claims to be able to speak of things which others on earth have never seen. He also pointed out his origin(heaven) and is not bound by the sins and errors of His detractors 

prettyruth
      Participant

The Deity of Christ Jesus.

When one talks about a deity, he’s talking about a supreme being, a god, a creator, someone or something he worship, reverencing and pledges his ought most loyalty to. Someone he recognises as his god.

4 Scriptures that shows the Deity of Jesus Christ.

1- Behold! John exclaimed the Lamb of God! According to (John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
      John 1:29 KJV)

John recognises Jesus as God who has come inform of man(flesh and blood) to take away the sin of man once and for all.

2- John 6:35
      And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

Jesus is making it known to them here that he is the giver and restorer of life. And he is the only God that can give them the full vitality of life. If they believe in Him and follow Him, they will never lack wisdom or crave of the things of this world. They will experience the fullness of life of abundance in Christ Jesus.

3- John 14:6&7

6-Jesus explained, “I am the Way, I am the Truth, and I am the Life. No one comes next to the Father except through union with me.
      John 14:6‭-‬7 TPT

Jesus is speaking about his personality here as the redeemer. He is the source of life and they must be in agreement with him, or in Union with him to have access to God the Father. Him Jesus and God are one and through him they will experience the presence of God.

4. John 3:16

God has come in the person of His Son Jesus, for he that receives Jesus shall have life eternal. He has come to give life abundance to those that believe and will guide and direct their part to a fulfilling destiny.

Ben
      Participant

Yes, to add to John’s declaration of Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29), to show his deity. It is clear that Jesus is God because no ordinary man, born through the natural birth could take away the sins of the world. Hence, the saviour of the world must be a man who would pay with his blood(life) by the justice of God(the soul that sins shall die and the wages of sin is death).

Now, the lamb of God was one without sin and Jesus could only fit in as that lamp because his life was incorruptible- the life of God which became seed in Mary through the power of the Holy Ghost. Bringing God in flesh. Hence, the claim of Jesus as the lamb of God declares Jesus as one with God because only God could save the world.

John 3:16, reveals that Jesus- the Son of God is equal with God the Father. For it tells us that those who believe in Jesus, will have their human life supplanted by the divine life- eternal life; life as God has it. Such depth! Jesus was the only one in possession of that life and is the only one who can “rebirth” men, bring them into a changed and new root. To the same roots with the living God. So even though we as believers and as sons of God can give life to men, it is based only on the revelation of the Lord Jesus. Hence, we point men to Him till date. Like it is said, “you can’t give what you don’t have”…we have today because He gave us that life. He has it because it is His life and that life is the very life of God. Jesus is God. The Son of God who reveals God and His life to all men.

prettyruth
      Participant

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
      John 1:29 KJV

Who can take the sin of the world if not God. Ordinarily it could sound blasphemy to the hearing of other men around there….especially to the scribes, the Sadducees, the Sanhedrin, the Pharisees…I call them the Sadis….it has never been seen or said of a man that will be baptized by John the Baptist will be the Messiah that will come and take away the sins of mankind. John the Baptist being the prophet of his time spoke with authority based on the revelation he got in the Spirit. Jesus as God in form of man has to fulfill the scripture and the anointing of God has to come upon Him here on Earth for Him to carry out his earthly mission.

The Word Take Away means to bear, who can bear ones sin if not God.

Romans 11:27
      [27]For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Hebrews 10:4
      [4]For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Jesus(God), the second of the God head. Came in form of man to take away the sins of the world ones and for all. John 3:16

Amadij
      Participant

When we talk about the nature and deity of Jesus Christ, we refer to the humanity if Jesus Christ.
      During the lesson we learnt that his deity as the son of God, tell us that in his place in the trinity through faith in Jesus Christ we can now call ourselves as the son’s of God. John8:23
      It also explain that Jesus Christ was in existence before the world began in other words the bible refer Jesus Christ as the son of God.

During the creature he was address as God , because Jesus Christ is the trinity of God heads Colossians 4:5
      In other words Father’s, son,and the spirit are one God. because they are members of the trinity of the Father. Jesus Christ was in a special relationship with his father and in a special mission luke 4:29
      Jesus Christ claims to reside with his Father ( John 20:21) because he lives with his father and also depart with his father any where he goes.he also claims to be the only one who can uncover God the father by his self John 14’9-11

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Select your currency