Home V3 (LearnDash) Forums Christian Character Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Christian Character Discussion Board 1

EdenSage
Participant

It is true that we are not saved by good works but I would like to put it this way, we are saved FOR good works. The bible tells us that the just shall live by faith (Romans 1:17). Meaning, everything a believer does is and should be by faith. Even receiving salvation was by faith. Scriptures also tell us that faith without works is dead (James 2:26) and so it is safe to conclude that the believer in Christ is expected to show good works. Good works are a part of a believer’s believing life.
Before we were saved, there was no way we would have “earned” salvation through our good works because the nature of the fallen sinful man was not good and was separated from God.. Therefore, Jesus had to come. He became sin that we may become the righteousness of God in him (2 Corinthians 5:21) and Jesus said that those who believe in him will do greater works than he did (John 14:12). So, works are not inconsequential. The believer is expected to show great works. Nay! GREATER WORKS. Hallelujah!
When a believer fulfils these words that Jesus spoke, it is a witness for Jesus. Just like the illustration Pastor gave in the lesson, of a child who comes home with a good report card from school. It gladdens the heart of the parents and they are proud. However, let me add that it is not the report card that made the child a child to the parents. Rather the child is only able to perform (good or bad) because they are connected to a source. We are not born of God because of our works but because we are born of God (the source of everything good and perfect), we should and will evidently have good works.
A relationship with Jesus is a relationship with the Word and the Spirit of God and so good works are inevitable because our very nature has become good. We begin to bear fruit that is good. It is not these works that justify us but they are prove that we have been joined to the one who is good.
So yes, I agree with the statement that good works that stem out of a relationship with Christ Jesus, are a witness for him but I am also aware that my good works do not give me a place as a child of God but rather it is by the sacrifice of Jesus that I am saved and then I am able to live a life where good works are my nature.

Select your currency