Home V3 (LearnDash) Forums The Art Of Music Ministry I 207-L Discussion Board 1 Reply To: The Art Of Music Ministry I 207-L Discussion Board 1

EdenSage
Participant

Heavy metal (or simply metal) is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and then in the United States. With its roots in blues rock, psychedelic rock and acid rock, heavy metal bands developed a thick, monumental sound characterized by distorted guitars, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, dense bass-and-drum sound, vigorous vocals and loudness.

Over the years, this genre of music has evolved into various forms with popular acts like Bon Jovi, Mettalica and Anthrax introducing glam but even more aggressive styles to it. Further on, the lyrics of some metal genres were associated with aggression and machismo. Heavy metal fans became known as “metalheads” or “headbangers” by the late 1980’s because when performing live, many metal musicians – as well as the audience for whom they played, engaged in headbanging, which involves rhythmically beating time with the head, often emphasized by long hair. Also, the il cornuto, or “devil horns”, hand gesture was popularized by vocalist of this form of music.

In the 1960s an “explicit display of emotion” was required from the vocals as a sign of authenticity and this about sums it up for me regarding the essence of this genre of music. While the spiritual convictions of its founders is not thoroughly studied or known, the expressions of this kind of music do not portray the virtues of Christian character. This genre of music is a glorification of self and a display of excesses.

During the lesson, our instructor advised that Christians avoid and abstain from this genre because of its “gothic” expressions and upon further personal study, I have found that there is a compulsory tone of voice and an attitude to Metal Music that do not glorify God but rather seeks to exalt the raw emotions of natural man.
I therefore agree that indeed believers should not indulge or engage in the production or promotion of this genre of music for the following reasons:

1. Its source: The violence and aggression and pride that is expressed from this genre of music is clearly inspired by the god of this world. The Holy Spirit will not inspire loudness or excesses rather the fruits of the spirit would be seen (1 Corinthians 14:40, Galatians 5:22&23). Also, according to Romans 13:13-14 (NLT) believers are to live decent lives that are visible to everyone because we belong to the day. Believers are not of darkness and must not participate in the darkness of wild parties and other vices listed in the verse. Verse 14 further tells us to put on Christ rather than think of ways to indulge in evil desires. The lyrics and performances of this genre of music do not reflect Christ.

2. Its elicited acts: because of what this music stands for and because of its source (inspiration), its hearers and fans respond with headbanging and the “devil horns” hand gesture. Neither of these acts are expressions of worship or praise to God. This genre of music clearly exalts the natural man (unregenerate spirit, flesh) and in Galatians 5:19 we are told what the works of the flesh are which include idolatry and sorcery. It is no wonder that the “devil horns” expression evolved from this genre of music.

In summary, let me add that this kind of music cannot be used for evangelism purposes because some people way consider it as an option to bring in fans and then minister to them. This strategy is not advisable because it is not music that brings people to repentance. Music may be a tool but it is the goodness of God that leads men to repentance (Romans 2:4). This genre of music does not express or profess the goodness of God.

Select your currency