Home V3 (LearnDash) Forums Theology Discussion Board 1 Reply To: Theology Discussion Board 1

Ben
Participant

God doesn’t change. He is Omniscient (all knowing) and immutable (unchanging). God is perfect. He cannot get better or worse. He said to Moses about Himself, “I am who I am”. That means he cannot change as to his essential character. He cannot gain or lose his attributes as God. Malachi 3:6 says, ” I am the Lord, I do not change; therefore, you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob”. God will never be wiser, more loving or more holy than he has ever been. However, there are a number of scriptures to site as an example of God having a change of mind concerning something he planned to do or had done.

These scriptures are as follows:
Exodus 32:14 “So the Lord changed His mind about the harm which He said He would do to His people. ”

Jeremiah 26:19
“Did Hezekiah king of Judah and all Judah put him to death? Did he not fear the Lord and entreat the favor of the Lord, and the Lord changed His mind about the misfortune which He had pronounced against them? But we are committing a great evil against ourselves.”

Amos 7:3
“The Lord changed His mind about this.
“It shall not be,” said the Lord.”

Jonah 3:10
“When God saw their deeds, that they turned from their wicked way, then God relented concerning the calamity which He had declared He would bring upon them. And He did not do it.”

Jeremiah 42:10
“If you will indeed stay in this land, then I will build you up and not tear you down, and I will plant you and not uproot you; for I will relent concerning the calamity that I have inflicted on you.”

These scriptures seems to show a God who changes his mind and that is a function of the changing nature of men. God’s desire is for fellowship with man and he becomes relatable not static in his relationship with man. When people sin or repent of sin, God “changes” his mind- for the purpose of relationship with changing men yet he is unchanging.

With the case study of the people of Nineveh, God was not pleased with their sinful way of life and the consequences of their sins was to come upon them except they change. Eventually they repented and God changed his mind towards them unto forgiveness. This provoked Jonah who knew that God will change his mind towards the people once they repented even though he wanted God to punish them.

What do we see in this?

God is unchanging in his nature but will change his mind ( there will be changes and development) in his relationship with his repentant creation (changing men). Thus, we who were once enemies of God, are now his own people. He changed his mind to relate with us when we yielded to his will.

Select your currency